Tuesday, April 2, 2013

MM Onze: Not So Perfect Prefecture

We've heard over and over again from other ex-pats things like: "Nothing in France is easy." and "Oh, that's just France!" regarding things like moving in, dealing with any state departments, and just all around getting things done.  So we moved here waiting to feel like we needed to say these phrases.  But 3 months went by and everything seemed to go smoothly!  People were very nice, and when we did have problems, they were either taken care of easily or so minor that we decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

But, alas, my prefecture experience finally made me say "Oh, France..."

Just like in the US, you have to register your cars in order to drive them here.  Luckily, the one we bought from the dealer dealt with that paperwork for us and the carte grise (certificate of registration) showed up in the mail just a few days later.  But, we bought the other car from someone at Nick's work which meant we had to deal with the paperwork ourselves.

You have 1 month from when you buy the car to take care of this paperwork, and of course we waited until about 3 weeks 5 days to take care of ours.  With the help of google translate and Nick's secretary, I armed myself with all the necessary forms filled out and supporting paperwork and headed out for the prefecture in our arrondissement.  I was feeling pretty good and because I knew I had all my paperwork, I was actually kind of looking forward to practicing some French with the workers.

So, I'm waiting for the bus, and should've taken it as a sign, when it was 20 minutes late, but I get on and finally arrive at the prefecture.  Running through the rain, I enter only to be told by the receptionist, "Oh no, you have to go to the prefecture in the center of Paris."  She was nice enough to give me a paper with the address, but the location was halfway across town from where I was.  I climb on the RER train and finally make my way to the address on the paper.  Outside the door are 2 police officers.  I tell them, in French, that I need a carte grise and was sent here.  She tells me, in English, no I need to go down the road, take the 1st left and then 2nd left.

Beautiful Justice Palace...
not so beautiful to
wonder around
Never thought I'd be so happy
to see this sign!
I do as I'm told but feel like I'm definitely not in the right place.  But, I end up at the Justice Palace, so I'm hopeful maybe she actually knew what she's talking about.  After going through an x-ray machine and asking someone where to go, I wander this HUGE palace looking for the right room.  I pass rooms of what I'm sure are convicted criminals before I finally come to another reception area.  He tells me I need to go the prefecture--WHERE I JUST WAS!!  I try explaining that she told me to come here, but he insists.

So, I head back and tell my police officer friend, in French, that the guy in the Justice Palace told me to come back.  This time, in French, she tells me I need to take the first RIGHT and then the 2nd RIGHT.  And low and behold, look what I found!  Talk about lost in translation---and this time it wasn't even my fault!

It's now about 2+ hours since I've left my apartment, and I haven't even entered the building!  I finally enter and am met with this:
Yes, that is a 99 min. wait!
But, at this point, I'm just so glad I'm in the right place!  And surprisingly, my wait was LESS than estimated (not by a lot, but I'm pretty sure in the US it always seems to be MORE than estimated).  And I have to say, they really had the system down.  They called numbers very similar to how it's done in the US, and the lady was extremely helpful and nice when it was my turn.


I'm proud to say that I was able to understand and carry on a short conversation about the paperwork and after about 3.5 total hours, I was done!

Naturally, I rewarded myself with a little shopping AND it turns out it was Jour de Macaron, so I got a free macroon, plus a few extra! ;)

Oh France....but really for 3 months if this all that has gone "wrong" in a foreign country, I'd say we're doing pretty good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment