Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Je t'aime: Valentines Day in Paris

While Nick & I usually don't go to great lengths to celebrate the day,
I thought it would be  fun to fill you in on the day here in France.

For the most part, Valentines day is not a big deal here. None of my kids that I tutor had heard of it.  In fact one told me she had heard of it because her sister is named Valentine...umm ok, not quite.

But there are a few people and stores that celebrate it. It's definitely not taken to the commercial extreme that it is in the US, but it was pretty common to see people buying roses yesterday.  There were also 5000  roses free for the taking on the "love locks" bridge. I only managed to take one picture around town (above), my friend Lillian did a much better job of capturing the day (check out her entry from the day at Les Petits a Paris).

I did check out a fun flash mob kiss event in front of the Louvre, thanks to Lillian's good find of this event. I wasn't really sure what to expect but it was actually pretty fun! The idea was that at 2:14pm everyone would kiss or show love to the person they were with. In addition, they handed out balloons to write your love notes on to be released at 2:14. The police put a little damper on it when they took a huge bundle of balloons away (really, you're stopping this but not the taxi strike?!?) but it still pretty awesome to see all the balloons floating away. Paris really is romantic! :)
Pain Poliane, a local bakery, took photos for Instagram of the event
Lillian and I rounded out the afternoon sipping some Jean Paul Hevin hot chocolate and chatting. Not my favorite hot chocolate (blog post coming soon on that) but it was a great way to spend the day!

 As has been tradition for Nick and I for several years now, we cooked our Valentine's dinner together. We enjoyed homemade Kir Royal (so easy and delicious!) with cheese for an appetizer. We may have adapted the French custom of eating cheese as a course, but our Wisconsin roots still require us to eat it as an appetizer rather than before desert. After steak and green beans we were stuffed and decided to save our crepes for breakfast the next morning. Nick is getting really good at these! :)
I got so excited to eat the steak that I didn't take a picture before I started cutting!
Hope you all had a great Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment