Monday, July 14, 2014

MM Vingt: S-s-summertime, summertime {happiness}

Last summer was a little strange because there was no clear distinction between my normal life and summer life.  As a teacher, that utter joy you feel on your first day of summer is something I always looked forward to.  So, this year, although not quite the same as my teaching days, I once again got to experience what the excitement of summer feels like again.  My daily French classes and after-school English classes that I taught ended within the last two weeks, so it's freedom! :)  And to paraphrase Lana Del Ray, it's been a s-s-summertime, summertime of happiness (not sadness!)





So what have I/we been up to?  Nick's mostly been in Africa working offshore 16-18 hours a day.  He's having fun {more on that later}, and so I am back in Paris.


Drinks on Rooftops
With AWG, I've been able to check out some new gorgeous views of the city with drinks on the rooftop.  The first place we went was the Terrace Hotel in the Montmarte area.  Wine was very reasonably priced at 7E a glass, and we had almost the entire place to ourselves!
The next day, we visited the beautiful Hotel Raphael terrace.  Fantastic views of both the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe.  I wished I had my good camera for this one, as at 17E a glass, I probably won't be coming back any time soon!  You definitely are paying for the views, so it's justifiable once, and the terrace itself is beautiful.  We also got a tour of some of their rooms, which I thought were more impressive than the Geroge V rooms!

Horse Jumping Show at Champs de Mars
Last weekend there was a world horse jumping competition at the Champs de Mars.  We had been to a similar one in Vienna, but when I went by on a run and saw they were letting people in for free, I decided to take advantage!  I got a spot right by the fence, and even in the rain, it was very entertaining. There were several Americans competing, including Bruce Springsteen's daughter!










World Cup
So, this has been going on for more than just a few weeks, but it's been fun to watch all the games in a country where people really love their soccer.  Of course, we first supported the Americans, but then switched to the French.  When the French lost, well, it's still fun just to watch.  We've made our rounds of places to watch the games--from Skee & Michelle's apartment to the Canadian pub to French bars.


4th of July Celebrations
And of course, it wouldn't be summer without a little 4th of July celebrating!  Our friends Mark & Val organized a little picnic potluck, turned apartment potluck when the weather didn't cooperate.  We had everything from pulled pork, salsa, and guac to 4th of July jigglers/jell-o shots and cupcakes from Bobbie's shop. {Sidenote: if you're ever in Paris, you should visit Bertie's CupCakery.  And not just because she's my friend. They're yummy!!}  After watching France lose that night, it was a good pick-me-up with even better friends!
















Some more Bastille Day fun coming up, and then I'm off to the US.  I'm actually quite looking forward to going back to the US, not only to see family and friends, but also because the weather here has felt downright winter-ish and I'm over all the construction on our metro lines around us, making it impossible to get around!

No comments:

Post a Comment