Friday, January 25, 2013

In a box. On a boat. Across the Ocean.

So most of you already know this story, but my friend Katie hasn't heard it and suggested I write a post about it after seeing the picture on Facebook.  I figured we might as well get the story documented, and hey, even if you know the story, feel free to read again for a little pick-me-up.




Date: December 21st, 2012.  Exactly 1 day before our flight back to WI for Christmas and then right on to Paris

Plan: Nick sells last car to someone at work, has a friend drive him to the airport to pick up a rental car for the rest of the day until we fly out Sat.  Considering that for the last 4 weeks, we'd been running around like chickens with our heads cut off doing all the paperwork and craziness that is moving to a foreign country, we were pretty proud that we came up with this plan that worked and even had a free rental car day to use!

This would be a too happy of an ending to the story.  I mean, when you're moving across the ocean, something's gotta go wrong.  Fast forward to 10:30am on Friday and the phone call I get at school from Nick. "Hey, so do you have your driver's license?" My response of course is, "Yeah, it's always in my wallet."  Nick's continuing to play it cool, "Well, you might want to just check that." So I do, "IT'S NOT THERE!" Nick's response: "Yeah, mine either."

Nick is sitting in a rental car with no id.  Turns out, Nick scanned our ids for some paperwork and never took them off the scanner.  The scanner is in a box. On a boat. Across the Ocean. To Paris. UH-OH!

In the end it all turned out fine and we can laugh about it now. (Although at the time it was NOT very funny!)  Luckily, we had our passports to fly.  And thanks to our awesome friends, the Wideners, Nick got picked up at the airport and they lent us their car to use.  We ended up going to get replacement ids on our 1 day back in Houston before flying to Paris.  However, after 5 hours of sleep, I'm thinking maybe I was better off waiting for my old one to show up.  I was going to put a picture of it on here, but after a second look, it definitely looks like I got run over by a truck.  Not gonna put that picture out there!



And, when I unpacked that box this week, they're still there! They made it in a box. On a boat. Across the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment