Monday, February 25, 2013

MM Sept: Kids & French

Today's Monday Minute is brought on by the laughs I had with my little kiddos at school today!  Mondays are seriously my favorite day because I get to the spend the morning with 3 year olds and the afternoon with 1st graders at the bilingual school I volunteer at.


This morning as I walked to school in the wet snow that was actually sticking to the ground, I thought how different it was from last week when it was sunny and warm!  All of the sudden in the middle of the morning one of the native French girls in my preschool class began singing "Jingle Bells".  The other kids were quick to tell her that it is definitely NOT Christmas anymore so WHY is she signing that?  Her response was "parce qu'il neige, bien sûr" (because it is snowing, of course).  I had many more laughs throughout the day with the 1st graders, who were brainstorming things they could and could not do 100 of (it was the 100th day today).  In French, "faire" means 'to do' and 'to make' so it was very confusing to them why they couldn't put "I could do 100 cakes."  on their papers.  The native French speakers were convinced it made sense, and even though they are supposed to speak English in the afternoon, they would quickly revert to French to emphatically argue their point with me.
I actually am starting to feel like this is true!
I love French!

Today made me realize not only did how much I love and miss working with kids everyday, but also that in the 8 weeks we've been here (has it really been that long already?), I have learned so much French.  I was shocked today when I could actually follow the argument that the kids were making to me about "doing" things.  When I think back to when the movers came I thought I was doing pretty good to "kind of" understand the box numbers they called out to me and say "ici" (here) and "là-bas" (over there) for where to put things.  In the last week, we have bought a car mostly in French (Nick did most of the speaking there, but I did negotiate all on my own) and have gotten a quote for car insurance completely in French. I'm definitely no where near fluent, but it's exciting to see that progress is being made!  I'm so excited to think about how much more I'll learn each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment