Thursday, June 20, 2013

Top of Paris

One of the best things about having visitors come is that you can check out things you've been wanting to do for a while!

During my parents' week-long visit to Paris, I think, subconsciously, we were on a mission to find the best possible view of Paris. 

So which place has the best view? I'll let you be the judge of that...

Those of you that know me well are probably thinking, she really went to the top of all these things?  My fear of heights used to get the better of me, even just climbing a small tower in state parks in Wisconsin.  But, thanks to our Colorado adventure last year, I've mostly conquered my fear...that's us on the mountain in the picture on the right!


So, I bravely began the conquest of climbing to the top of Paris...

Eiffel Tower

Cost: 5€ for stairs, 14.50€ for elevators to very top

Believe it or not, I haven't been up it yet!  And with a gorgeous blue sky day, there was no better day for it!  We decided just to walk (cheaper and no lines) to the 2nd level and not go all the way to the top.  But hey, the views were still awesome!


Trocadero with La Defense behind



Invalides & Notre Dame
(if you look carefully!)


Montmartre

Cost: free, 6€ to climb to the Sacre Coeur dome

Even though it's difficult to make out a lot of the major landmarks from here, the panoramas are one-of-a-kind!  And, you just might get to watch some street performers when you're there!



Tour Montparnasse

Cost: restaurant meal or drink price, 13.50€ for observatory level

This is the lone skyscraper in the middle of Paris. Parisians reportedly hate it (although they used to hate the Eiffel Tower too), but it does offer some incredible views. To celebrate Dad's birthday, I treated him to lunch at the restaurant on the 56th floor. We didn't let the haze ruin our fun!  I can only imagine this on a clear day. Drinks anyone?



Arc de Triomophe

Cost: 9.50€, unless you come the 1st Sunday of the month in off-season when it's free!

Again, hadn't been up this yet...it really is fun to be a tourist in your own city!  Are you getting tired of these views yet? Don't worry, we mixed it up a little and climbed up for some sunset/night pictures.





Printemps Rooftop

Cost: free!

Printemps and Galleries Lafayette are the 2 major department stores here in Paris and both have free viewing terraces. Once again, I'm not sure why I haven't done this before...even in the rain, the view was breath-taking! Can't wait to check out the Galleries Lafayette one next!
A little rainy and cold, but the views were worth it...


180 Bar & Restaurant

Cost: price of a drink or a meal (my glass of wine was 6€, which is pretty normal for Paris)

One of my friends in Paris recently told me about this "pop-up" bar on the 15th floor of the Pullman hotel. Lucky for me, this is only a few blocks from our apartment so we decided to check it out for drinks one evening. WoW! The concept is that it has 180 degrees of views but only for 180 days. Which means it closes for good on July 15th.  I will be going back before it closes!  I'm so sad I didn't discover this sooner since it is so close and opened about the same time we arrived. Side note...this means we've been here almost 6 months now!  Ahh, where does the time go??




*****2014 UPDATE*****

Notre Dame

Cost: 8.50

Mom and Dad came back, and we followed up our sights of Paris with a climb to the top of Notre Dame.  Despite having been up so many already, it was still pretty awesome.  Even cooler when the bell started ringing while we were on the roof!


So, which is my favorite? Nah, not gonna tell you...you'll just have to come visit and make your own decision :)

No comments:

Post a Comment