Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Paris Noel

It seems that every new season that arrives in Paris becomes my favorite, but I have to say Christmas season may be my ultimate favorite!  The lights, decorations, and festivities are everywhere and start early to put you in the Christmas spirit.  {Also the fact that there's no Thanksgiving probably has something to do with it too.}

Here's a little glimpse of what Paris is like in this festive season.


Lights, Lights, Everywhere!

Almost every street in Paris decorates with lights, and my favorite part is that they all have their own style.
Champs-Elysees Lights
Lights in our neighborhood...some of my favorite!
Festive stores and restaurants around town
Notre Dame at Christmas

Marches de Noel (Christmas Markets)

While they're no German Christmas markets, and in fact, they're actually quite commercial with very few handmade gifts, I still love the fact that there's so many of these all around Paris.  When you just need a little pick-me-up, all you have to do is wander through here (and grab some vin chaud of course)!

Champs-Elysees Market
La Defense Market with Arc de Triomph in the distance
Montparnasse Market with tower in background
St. Germain Market in footsteps of St. Germain church

Trocadero Market

Les Sapins de Noel

Better known as Christmas trees, there's a wide range of options available in Paris.  From tall and wide to short and squatty (which is what we went with), you start seeing them everywhere from December 1st on.  Grocery stores, floral shops, and just stands abound.  Apparently, sometimes there's so many it's a forest!

Window Displays

I'm sure everyone knows about the famous window displays in New York and Chicago at Christmas time, and Paris has them too!  Actually, Paris claims to be the first founder of department stores worldwide.  While I think this is probably up for debate, there are some impressive window displays and they draw famous people for their revealing.  Gwyneth Paltrow was honorary guest to reveal the Prada window at Printemps this year (sorry, I missed it, so no pictures of that!)  In fact, when we went it was so busy that I couldn't even take any good pictures of the displays!  But this blog I follow has some great ones, if you're interested!

Instead, I'll leave you with some beautiful photos of the beautiful Christmas tree inside of Galleries Lafayette.

Christmas Parties

And of course, what Christmas season would be complete without some festivities?  We both had work parties this year, as well as some informal get-togethers with friends.
White elephant party, complete with "everything you can buy on the streets of Paris"
and a dancing puppet bought from a semi-homeless person
Nick's work party...delicious food at La Gare!
Elf movie night with holiday drinks.  Sadly, we didn't take any pictures
of anyone that came over that night!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! Just catching up now :) I love your night photos... I'll have to ask you what your tips and tricks are - they are so clear and crisp. And I ate way too many of those Christmas cutout cookies on Elf movie night... they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete