Friday, October 10, 2014

Vélib' Vendredi: the 10th

After our summer-like September, fall/winter is officially back in Paris, which meant that this entire week called for rain and cooler temps. So when I got called to sub for a class on Monday, and it wasn't raining, I decided to head out a little early for my weekly bike ride. {Of course, it rained on me by the end, and ended up being sunny toward the end of the week, but I guess I should be used to incompetent weather forecasters by now.}


The class I was teaching was in the 10th, an area I very rarely never frequent. My extent of knowledge of the area is Chateau d'Eau, one of the few metro stops that I try and avoid at all costs. The area just around Chateau d'Eau tends to be a bit shady, with people just loitering along the entire street. However, I was pleasantly surprised that just a few blocks south and west of this metro, it doesn't feel that much different than other areas of Paris.
While I did see a few hidden churches and other interesting things, I think my favorite part of this area was the doors. It seemed every one was a different color and so unique and grand looking.  Hence, most of my pictures of doors from this excursion.
Will I make an effort to return to this area? No, probably not, but it was nice to end my time in this area with the lovely surprise of seeing this gorgeous courtyard as I entered the building I was teaching in. By far, the most beautifully decorated courtyard I've seen here!

No comments:

Post a Comment